Wednesday, April 19, 2006

1 AH... 1 UM... 5 YOU KNOWS...

1 "Ah", 1 "Um", and 5 "You knows." This is the result of the evaluation of my first Toastmasters speech! I did a 4-6 minute ice breaker speech. The topic I chose was "gratitude for what I have." I shared about feeling apart from and not grateful for what I had... I shared about how Mom influenced my being apart. I shared about Mom passing away in May 2005. I shared about my getting to show up for her when she was ill... Taking the suggestions from my support group and taking action that is contrary to my natural behavior: being of service; thinking about another person; saying I love you; I am sorry; I am proud of you; of all the women I got for a Mom, I got you; I shared the love and support given to me by my support group. I shared about being grateful for what I have. Others seeing beauty in me when I couldn't see it in myself. I shared about Dad passing away this past weekend and how it was less painful to go through the motions while feeling the feelings.

I shared a last line: success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you have. That is a huge gift... I want what I have today... I am very grateful for what I have.

Anyway, I kept it within 4-6 minutes; I believe I touched on the big stuff... I never realized I said "you know" repetitively. What a valuable lesson to learn! I am proud of myself for having the gonads in taking a chance and sharing and willing to practice!!!

All and all... I believe I did really well... I am thankful for that!

Quoc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home