Sunday, September 25, 2005

ILLEGAL TO HANG SOMETHING IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR

Did you know it is illegal to hang something in the rear view mirror? If my day could not have gotten worse, I get the lights pulled on me by a police car in West Hollywood. I pulled over and felt at ease that the car was insured, the registration on the car is current, I have a valid license, I am not high on drugs and there is nothing to hide. So, I am sitting there with 2 very very bright sunlights pointed right at my car blinding my ability to see behind me in the dark (10:20PM). I was driving home from my recovery meeting.

The cocky officer walks up and asks for my driver license and registration. Then proceeds to ask if I knew what I had done. I told him that I didn't know... He condescendingly says I must know what is wrong as if I were deceiving him. I totally wanted to pull the recovery card on him and said that it is no longer in my best interest to lie! I didn't. I told him that I honestly didn't know what I my infraction was and trusted that he stopped me for a reason.

He informed me that he was stopping me because first did not make a complete stop at a stop sign a few blocks back. Honestly, I didn't recall that. Then as if he was being really big and giving me a break, he told me that he was going to cite me for having an object hanging in my rear view mirror. The very thing that has been hanging there since I bought this car back in 2001. The very good luck chinese charms that hang in the car to keep us safe from bad spirits protect us from harm. It apparently obstructs view. So, why do vendors sell things that people may hang in the rear view mirror? Also, how many friggin' people have things hanging in their rear view mirror???!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! Now, I have to stop by the downtown precinct to show the thing hanging from my rear view mirror is no longer hanging from there, then go into the clerks office and pay a small fee (that I can't even afford; I barely have money for food). He concluded by telling me to drive safely and to have a good night.

Ok, he was just doing his job... But man oh man, he must've been bored or way short on his quota to need to stop me for that infraction. Anyway, I know now... I am trying to stay in the solution and stay grateful, but truth be told, I think it is totally wrong!!!! There are dumb cracks out there driving recklessly and I get stopped first for not completing a full stop (which I don't recall) at a stop sign and then get cited for not illegally hanging something in my rear view. The program suggests that I focus on me and my part... I will try... Argh!!!

Disgruntled,

Quoc

1 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, December 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez,
The policeman have not reason to stop you without proof. If I were you I would ask for proof. You should have challenge him there and ask to call his supervisor or ask for a warning. If he refuse to do so them there is no case. Also you should challenge the pro-temp judge. You can ask the judge to waive the fee.
Your friend who admires you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home